Friday, June 4, 2010

Slapped With Reality

...or another version of the story at the very least...

My best friend is great! He sent me a "kick in the pants" email yesterday on the topic of going to help my dad. It's exactly what I needed.

You see, I am a very generous and forgiving person by nature. I want to help everybody and just be respected for who I am. When it comes to my family, though, I need to just let go of that. There are times when I *should* hold a grudge and let people reap the harvest from the ill will they've sown. This time, "people" means my dad and his wife. They don't seem to hold any respect for me, and they don't deserve my help, regardless of recent events. This is a very difficult thing for me to realize.

What Carl pointed out is that I'm not really in a strong position to help my dad, and it's partly his own doing. Here's the story... Two years ago I decided to pursue weaving as a profession. While working a day job that barely covered my bills, I did six months of research, took a couple of courses on planning and starting a small business, and worked with a few business advisors to write a detailed business plan and pursue funding. Then the banking industry all-but-collapsed. Lending dried up "temporarily".

So I called on my dad for the first time in my adult life. I wasn't asking for a handout. I was asking for a loan in very specific terms with a clear, conservative plan to pay it back. His response? He didn't even call me back. And when I finally called him, he gave me the cold shoulder, saying merely "I don't buy it." He made no offer of assistance less than the amount I was asking. No terms like "start it yourself, show me that you're serious and I'll help you get to the next level". Just a simple "no" that translated to "you don't deserve my help in any way." I told him that I would have liked his support but that I'd just go ahead and do it on my own.

That was the last time we spoke, about a year and a half ago. In that time I've done just as I said. I borrowed some money from friends and bought my loom. I've spent the last year as an apprentice, earning relatively little for my work while I learned the ropes of production weaving. This year I set ambitious milestones for myself and have met them all. I have now acquired the materials for my own batch of cloth, designed and wove it, made products from it, and test marketed them to thousands of customers. This week I'm putting together a small booth and refreshing my product inventory to prepare for summer craft fairs.

If I had startup capital a year and a half ago, I'd be that much further ahead of where I am. I'd be in a place where I could really help my dad without much personal sacrifice. (Actually, my experience has shown me that my production and earning estimates were grossly conservative. I'd be doing GREAT if I had had even moderate funding.) Instead, I'm in a place where I am still pinching pennies to get my business off the ground.

Yes, I *could* pack my studio into the van, go east and help them out, but why *should* I? Yeah, he's my dad, but where was he when I needed support? He didn't even have the decency to call me back.

"Are you really in trouble here?" was his last question when I called him. No, for the first time in my life I was not making a decision based on desperation, just making the best of whatever situation happened to be in front of me. I was finally taking charge and pursuing my life goals. And with no support, the going would be way rougher.

It has been rough. But I am making it and realizing that I have another family - my friends. I've lived with them longer than I lived with my biological family. They understand and respect me WAY more, and they care more about my actual well-being.

It's doubtful that the family would have taken me up on my offer to help anyhow. They seem to perceive me as worthless and undesirable. I think they need to believe that in order to treat me like a pariah. It's just not healthy for me to engage with people who behave that way, even if they're "family". They've made their choice clear over the years: they would be better off without me. Well, so be it.

I'm sorry that this realization is coming in the midst of the most difficult situation Dad has ever faced, but I'm sure that his family will get him through it. That family doesn't include me now any more than it did in the past. I'll save my kindness and generosity for people who deserve it.

Thanks for the clear thinking, Carl. I owe you one.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget to thank your grandother for her message.

Unknown said...

Of course! I had a great chat with her on the phone. It's not her fault that her son behaves that way... Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

Even though your family has treated you badly in the past, you need to be the bigger person. You only get one father in life, if you reach out to him without expecting anything in return you will be demonstrating what love really is. Please rethink your position, love is all we really have to offer in the end. If you show true love and caring to your father you will be repaid triple fold in the future. We all deserve love and kindness. Finally my last thought on this topic, we don't pick our family. Show your family you are the generous and loving person the rest of the world knows and loves. Best wishes, Martha

Unknown said...

Martha,

I'm afraid you have no idea. After being ejected from the family for being gay, and left on the street to "sort it out myself" I tried to forgive them. We have an extremely shallow relationship - as long as I don't share any part of my real self, we're fine. I don't have room for shallowness in my relationships anymore.

You're right, though, love is all there is. I share mine with people who value and return it.

Kay said...

Community is a significant thing. I have not been reading your blog for a long time, but it seems you have found it in Wolf Creek. I don't think it is widely understood how much community as been lost to the public at large. We are able to move long distances away from our families, many of us no longer go to church, or know our neighbors. I think family is significant, and having lived for 7 years in another city on the other side of the country, I now appreciate them even more. That having been said, it appears that your family has not been as supportive as my somewhat erratic one. At 30 years of age, however, you should not need to be in a position to ask for money to jump-start your career interests. It may take you longer to get there, but you are young. You certainly seem to understand the family situation when you point out that you are the person that might be most adaptable to the crisis. I would consider it an opportunity for your family to learn more about who you really are. Your choices have value and are worth sharing. They will never know if you don't reach out.

Bryan's Japanese Textiles said...

Hey my fellow weaver friend:
Follow your instincts on the family situation. Being dealt a bum deal on a family is something very hard to get over. You will mourn a lot through your whole life at a myriad of sadnesses. Being gay doesn't make things a whole lot easier for you either. Your friends and people around you look like very good people. It may hurt to be bio-familyless but you look to be blessed with a family of kindred spirits. The patterns of behavior we pick up from our reactions to a disfunctional family are often a tangled mess. As a weaver I'm sure you've had these moments where the smartest thing to do is get out the scissors and cut and discard and move on.
I had a family problem I couldn't work out on my own one time years ago. I went to a shrink to map out the family and the relationships with them to get a clear idea of the mechanics between them and myself. The shrink said,"And here you are raising silkworms and living in the mountains of Japan weaving...Don't you think it was because you never understood what was going on around you your whole life in relation to the family and tried to work out the complex patterns and emotions thorough your art?"
I replied that I resented paying $100 an hour for a first year level university psychology analysis. I walked outside and I had a good laugh...he was probably right...