Friday, September 13, 2013

Wildfire Cloth Sample Blanket. Time For Preorders!

It's that time again! Time to claim a piece of weaving from the newest cloth design before it's all woven and sold. I know that it doesn't happen that fast, but it sure seems like it sometimes.

This batch of cloth is pretty special to me and to others who went through the fire experience here in Wolf Creek. It was supposed to be designed and started to be woven a month ago, but we were all evacuated for about a month to escape the danger of a huge forest fire. It was over 60,000 acres altogether, and they managed to catch control of it less than 1/2 mile from my place and only a few dozen yards from the retreat center that means so much to me. We all saw lots of flames and breathed a lot of smoke before it was over. This cloth is my attempt to capture the intensity of that whole experience and some of the things I saw.

Here's the warp on the beam.

You'll notice that there are two more stripes than bobbins. I started weaving before I remembered to shoot the picture of the bobbins. The missing ones are black and navy blue. I also swapped the position of two of the reds before weaving it. Sorry.

Because the two edges are so different, I've decided to include two photos of each stripe. And sorry about the shadow of the camera in some of them. I'm running like a chicken with my head cut off right now in order to have some garments from this new batch before my next show in Arcata, California. It's next weekend. Yikes!

And just to reiterate the new boundaries around my custom work... I can weave you a piece with a custom weft color, but I cannot do custom sewing or weave nonstandard yardage sizes. It's just too much energy to track the details of a piece that's not something I weave every day. I currently weave square shawls, sofa throws, short hooded cloaks, and long hooded cloaks. Just let me know which garment style you're interest in and which color stripe most appeals to you.

Black

Navy

Ultramarine

Royal Blue

Turquoise

Multi-value Purple

Multi-value Magenta

Burgundy

Russet

Blood

Strawberry

Orange

Dijon Mustard

No comments: