Friday, May 13, 2016

Leaf Silhouette Series

It's been a very long, whirlwind of a week. I set a tough goal for myself and met it. If you remember, last weekend the muse hit me with a bunch of new skills to learn to take my printing in a whole new direction. I was going to try production one-of-a-kind multi-layer nature-based prints.

Well, I did it. This was a test of many skills and concepts at once:
  • Positive/negative registration
  • Using ghost images in production
  • Borderless plates
  • Multiple, different layers of ink with lots of overlap
  • Wet-on-wet and wet-on-dry transparency
 
[The studio after completion]

 
[Two solid images]

[Two ghosts and a solid]

 
[Three solid images, positive and negative in registration]


[Three ghosts]

I worked late into the night on Wednesday so that these prints, some of them with quite a lot of ink, would be dry in time to travel to Eugene for a technical critique and a workshop with Robert Canaga at Whiteaker Printmakers.

 
[On the rack]

I appreciate y'all being patient with how long it takes to photograph and list my stuff on Etsy. Eventually, maybe I'll hire that part out so that it can happen faster. The first of these prints will arrive in the Etsy Shop on Monday. As my skill level increases, my prices are going up a little, but don't forget that blog readers always get a discount by using this code: BLOGMAY16.

2 comments:

Tien Chiu said...

I love your ghost printed images. I think you're definitely on the right track there.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Tien! Yeah, the quest for repeatable tonality in block printing is a big and complex one. I can see some lights at the ends of tunnels, though. By practicing a variety of strange techniques, I think I'll have a good grasp on it by the end of the summer.