Thursday, March 4, 2010

Double checking

[Draft]

I did something with my first wide cloth that is helping me immensely: designed for the width of the section. This turned out to make threading and sleying much easier because I have check points in my work.

As I thread, I know that every "white on the right" section ends with 1-2-3-4. Every "white on the left" section ends with 8-7. If I get to the end of a section and it's not right, I go searching for the problem and fix it. When it's right, I tie an overhand knot and move on.

Sleying is made easier, too. This pattern has 39 threads per section. With a six-dent reed, the sleying is 3-3-3-4. That gives 13 threads every 2/3" or 39 threads every 2". If the last dent doesn't have 4 threads, I go back and find out why.

Incidentally, I make use of the Texsolv heddles to speed up sleying. With one hand holding the tension, the other hand slides heddles over in sleying groups, double checking the threading as I go. For each dent, I carefully lay the threads across the top of the harnesses. When they're all laid out, I grab the auto reed hook and use one hand to grab threads from the layout while the other hand pulls them through the reed.

[Ready to sley]

Since my reed is exactly 60", all this accuracy pays off when I reach the edge and pull the last threads through the last dent. Whew!

[The End]

No comments: