Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Maintaining Order

How do I keep track of 1200 threads once they get onto the sectional beam? Here's how...

Remember last week I showed the crazy contraption that pulls from the cones and gets the threads onto the loom under tension? As each section is wound, I capture the order of the threads with masking tape before I cut them and move on to the next section.

[Threads exiting the tension box]

[Masking tape preserves the order]

Then, when they're all wound, it's time to thread. For one section at a time, I pull the masking tape through the loom and attach it to the closest harness. Then I grab the threads four at a time with my left hand before I clip and thread them with my right. If I don't let go, tangles cannot happen.

Repeat the motion 300 times and the threading is done! Thanks to the miracle of tape, the threads stay in perfect order.

[Carried over for threading]

[From here to there]

[Threaded and ready]

No comments: