Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Scene Change!








[Carrying cloth]

It's been a very strange and tiring day. It started with packing and hand carrying the entire weaving and sewing studio through 250 feet of mud and squeezing it all into the van. (Thanks to Harlan for helping with the most difficult item: the 150-yard peacock warp beam.) Then came 16 hours of driving with 4 hours of sleep in the middle. Gone is yesterday's world of rain, snow, mud and cold. Today I live in the hot, dry and very windy world of Southern California.

I only made one wrong turn and ended up in Pasadena for a harrowing little while. It's beautiful city with a lot of old and impressive architecture, but not my destination. There's this one little spot where the main freeway narrows to one lane and goes down into a tunnel while the big, multilane aboveground part becomes an exit, dropping you in a part of Pasadena with no readily apparent ramp back to the freeway. Oops.

Thankfully, I'm not in Los Angeles itself. I don't even have to drive through it. I'm living in San Bernardino with a beautiful view of the mountains and working weekends in a big park in Irwindale. It's an exciting new world, and I can't wait to get into it. Right now, though, it's time to overcome the caffeine and take a little nap.






[All packed up!]






[A shocking sight, coming straight from the forest]




[The view from my bed for the next two months]

2 comments:

Crimson said...

have a FABULOUS time I am going to miss you at WC

Unknown said...

Thanks!

I am already dearly missing our peaceful little valley in the moist northwest.