Saturday, July 24, 2010

Staggering Amount Of Work




[Infinity pool, Wolf Creek style. Fed by the spring, it makes hot days bearable if you can find the time to use it.]

This day turned out nothing like I planned. I woke up ready to hold my Purse Queen office hours, set up the registration scene and move the rug weaving operation down to where people can see it for our fundraiser.

I got down the hill and didn't even have a chance to drink my tea before the world came crashing down. It turned out that we have nowhere near the amount of money we needed to buy all of the food, the treasurer was on an airplane and unable to transfer more, and the gathering starts tomorrow.

Sooooo, I updated the accounting records so I'd have perfect numbers to work from, performed some fancy (and well-documented) flim-flam, and wrote out detailed instructions so the kitchen crew would know how to perform the rest of the shopping. It took 5 hours of hair-splitting work. I'll reconcile again tomorrow, but I think I was able to pay for
enough food for half of the week.

And what will the participants in the gathering notice? Nothing at all with any luck. They'll be eating lovely food and having a great time without a care in the world, just as it should be. (According to recent customs. I'm old enough to remember when the gathering did much of the work of preparing for itself.)

Then I got the registration scene set and retired to the shade to process timesheets from the rug weaving project. When the rugs sell, part of the money is going toward our utilities, but the rest will be distributed among the people who worked on them. I like things to be fair and clearly communicated.

Then I worked for a few hours on our organization's newsletter before dinner. Tonight was leftovers, but they were delicious and exactly what we needed: salty, meaty pot pie. I had signed up for dishes so I did them, thankfully with a few volunteers to help. Then it was off with my Princess to collect donations and get back to the newsletter for a few hours before bed.

Notice that I never did get the weaving booth or rug auction set up say nothing of my own work. First thing tomorrow, before the heat arrives.

1 comment:

Alettesiriane said...

I wish you lots of energy today!