Friday, November 5, 2010

Samhain's Over


[Tonight's Sunset in Time Lapse]

Whew! This gathering was a whirlwind. I got home from my trip and poof! There were a hundred people for dinner.

By all accounts except financial, this was the best Samhain on record. The evening fires were focused and stayed on track. The big event involves a night of stories around the fire. And that's just what we did: passed on the stories of our ancestors. It is strange to realize that I'm an elder here, but it's certainly true. Only one person at the fire had history longer than mine. What fun we had telling these whippersnappers about the old days!

The lack of elders is for several reasons - the plague wiped out our membership in the 80's and 90's. And those who are still alive don't come around so much. I think we should work on getting them back next year. Their stories are important and the community here is mature enough to want to hear them.

Next on the community's plate is getting ourselves moved into the Garden House for winter. We need to get the kitchen set up, decommission the big kitchen in the barn, and figure out how we'll live together in close quarters 'til spring.

Next on my plate is reconfiguring my cabin and weaving. There are three of us living there this winter so I've moved most of my boxes of stuff into the newly watersealed trailer. Now I've got to keep my nose to the grindstone: there's a batch of cloth due next week.

No comments: