Sunday, September 16, 2012

Rewind: Packing For The Apprentice

In looking over my photos from the past week, I see that I forgot a whole piece of the story. Before I packed the van for this past weekend, I had to do something I've never done before - pack up a beam and all of the yarn that would be required to weave it.

Ordinarily, if I need a cone while weaving a beam, I just dash down to the store room and get it. This will not be an option for Jacob while he weaves so I was a little generous in the amount of weft thread that I packed for him. And, again, that sample blanket saved me. Instead of packing from a theoretical list, I hung up the blanket and piled up the amount of thread that we would need to weave a couple garments in variations of each stripe.

(In case you're wondering, that's about 200 pounds of weft thread.)

Then, with the help of one of the guys, I pulled the beam, harnesses, and reed off the loom. We wrapped it up and put it into the van, where it sat through packing for a show, unpacking at the show, repacking at the end, and unpacking at Jacob's bus to repack the van with loom parts. Finally, after the loom was hauled up to Jacob's studio, it was the beam's turn to get unpacked.

And it seems to have worked. Jacob has everything that he needs from me to weave and weave before my next trip to Portland for photography in October.

No comments: