Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Greyhound, Ugh.

I had forgotten just how badly Greyhound has planned the southbound route to San Francisco. I got on the bus in Grants Pass at 6:30PM and slept maybe an hour, arriving in Sacramento at 2:00AM.

Here comes the kicker: the bus to San Francisco leaves at 7:00AM after a 5 hour layover. Driving from Grants Pass to San Francisco takes 6 hours. Greyhound takes 15.

Sacramento is rough enough that I don't trust that my bag would still be there if I fell asleep. So now the sun is up, I'm still on Greyhound, an hour from SF, and I've only had an hour of sleep.

Thank goodness I loaded up the playlist with Harry Potter audiobooks before I left. They helped to drown out the all-night CNN onslaught in the bus station. "Michelle Obama's important new dress...One year since the Mumbai hotel bombing...Stores expect record-breaking Black Friday..." It's all so inane and meaningless to every day life. Unlike Harry Potter audiobooks. :)

I've kind of gotten hooked on audiobooks lately. After 6 months of production weaving I'm finally good enough that it doesn't require every brain cell at full attention at all times. I sometimes have a little spare space in my head so I can listen to lectures by Terence McKenna and Graham Hancock, old-time radio shows, and audiobooks. It helps me to spend more hours at the loom if my mind can travel while my body works.

I can't wait to be moved up to Wolf Creek and weaving full time without San Francisco rent to pay. Then I can pay off my debts and buy a van, lots of yarn, and some important loom parts. Things are moving now!

2 comments:

Milly said...

Oh I am so sorry to hear about your travels on Greyhound, but how exciting to be moving!
Have a beautiful day!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Milly.

I always forget just how bad Greyhound really is. After the initial trip comes three days of stiff neck from trying to sleep in those uncomfortable seats. It is exciting to be moving, though!