Sunday, September 5, 2010

Booth is Up, Home for a Week




[All done!]

Setup went super fast despite the blazing heat. (or maybe because of it) We got down there Wednesday night and got the poles laid out for the tent. We didn't put it up, though, because the idea was to have me make the decisions so I could really learn how it's done. The next time I put it up, I won't have Annie there to correct me.

When I packed for this trip we had had a cold snap here in Oregon. Knowing I was going to sleep outside, I packed wool socks, an alpaca sweater, a wool scarf, silk thermals, and my 20 degree sleeping bag. Did I bring shorts? A tank top? No.

Thursday morning arrived and I realized my mistake. To keep working in the heat I cut off my jeans and took the sleeves off my t-shirt. Then I had to stop every hour or so and soak myself down in order to keep going. It felt like I was on the verge of heat stroke all day. I spent every possible minute working in the shade and probably drank 2 gallons of water.

At about 4:00 it started to cool down to a reasonable temperature for working and we had a realization: if we kept going and got up at the first light we could beat the heat and go home a day early. And so we did. That second night made me glad for my warm clothes. It was damp and very cold. The next day might not have gotten very hot, but we don't know because we were done with work and driving away before 10:00 AM.

No comments: