Friday, March 29, 2013

Busy Days

I've got a ton of irons in the fire at this point in my life. It doesn't show in my face, does it?

Here's the current proposed layout of the new homestead. The small yurt is my cozy home and the large one is my tightly packed studio. The square is my detached kitchen. There's no room in the home and I don't want grease in the studio. Can you guess why?

And here's the design sketch of the undercarriage. It's all 2x6 construction to make it stable and leave space for a good layer of insulation. It's made from 8x8 modules bolted together so I can move it, expand it, or reconfigure it into smaller pieces if necessary. The materials list is in the hands of the contractor to modify and submit for fulfillment and delivery.

And then I found out that the biggest event of the year is happening on Saturday - the Wolf Creek Easter Parade and celebration. Everyone in the area comes out for it. So, at the last possible minute I found a local company that could make me a big banner for the shop with a 24-hour turnaround. To pull it off I needed to compromise on exact fonts, size, etc.

But the banner isn't just for this event. It's designed to catch the eye of visitors stopping for gas. That's the only reason that most people visit this tiny town. While they're waiting, I'm hoping they'll see the banner and decide to drive across the street to check out the studio. Oh, yeah, and buy stuff.

Here's the view from the gas station. Now do you see why the letters are so big and bold? No room for adornment here. It just needs to scream a simple message. I weave here and you can visit right now.

Here are a couple of maps to give a better idea of what's going on here. People zip off the freeway for gas and pass through on the main drag. My challenge is to pull people from the gas station to the little street where my shop is. Let's see if that banner is enough to do the trick!

No comments: