Monday, November 18, 2013

Weaving In The Yurt

First, another glamor shot. I finally got the yurt weatherproofed enough that I'm starting to think about other things like little lights so the door is easier to negotiate at night. Doesn't that look like the coziest and most magical home studio ever? It really is.

And finally, the moment I've been working for years to create... I now weave my cloth in an off-grid, wood-heated yurt in the forest.

I remember a conversation that I had with the sales associate at AVL when I went to pick up my loom in February of 2009. She wanted to sell me a computer interface for the loom to replace the all-mechanical dobby box. I told her that I would be moving into a yurt in the forest without enough electricity to power a computer. She was incredulous but fascinated. Every time we spoke on the phone she would ask about my progress. It's taken a little longer than I expected, almost five years, but I'm here now!

Between the loom, the bobbin winding station, and the shelves of thread, half of the floor space will be consumed. I'll bring in a personal shelf, a small table and a couple of chairs and that'll be it. Nothing more will fit in here.

While I was weaving my first batch of cloth in the yurt, the crews hired by the county were fulfilling a fire abatement grant that I got approved for this summer. This grant paid to clear the underbrush and ladder fuels in a 200 foot circle around my home.

View from the front steps, before and after the forestry work.

Same thing from the back steps.

They did a great job and got it all done in one day. It's going to take me a little time to get used to how different it looks, but my place is still invisible from the road and from all of the neighbors. This is very good.

No comments: