Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Seasons Are Changing

[This little maple is always the first to turn]

I love being on the land. It's hard to believe I've been gone for so long.

This time of year, the sun is moving south. This has a dramatic effect because of the lay of the land. During the Summer, the sun rises in a valley, and that means early. As it travels south, it has to climb higher up the hill every day before we see it. Astronomers may say that it's a minute later every day, but on this land it's more like two. In a week, the sun is cresting the ridge almost 15 minutes later than when I arrived.

At the same time, the moon is moving the opposite direction. Every night it's heading backwards. I arrived when it was dark, and now it is up before the sun sets. It will be full in a few days.

And weaving? It's right on track. Despite taking a few hours for accounting yesterday, I got my 11 yards done just in time for dinner.

No comments: