Thursday, August 27, 2009

Temper, Temper...








A dobby loom is like a musical instrument. It has to be tuned. There are many points of adjustment, and each one has an effect on the weaving flow and on the cloth. Some of the effects are subtle, some are not.

The loom I'm using has been taken apart and left in storage for a while. It may have been used for another type of weaving as well. This means that I'm spending lots of time diagnosing problems and adjusting but very little time actually weaving.

I'm also getting used to a different type of flyshuttle. Mine has a complicated mechanism with ratio-increasing pulleys and a handle that pulls straight down. This loom has a side-to-side throwing mechanism. After a few hours of beginner's anxiety, I'm getting the hang of it. This style of flyshuttle is so much quieter that I can carry on a conversation while I'm weaving.

I knew this loom was going to be different from mine, and have welcomed the chance to expand my horizons. The more equipment I experience, the more I'll know what I prefer for my own studio.

It should be just one more day until the loom is in temper and ready to zip through the yardage I need to produce to pay my rent.

7 comments:

Peg in South Carolina said...

And when it is in temper, so will you be. The fly shuttle sounds really neat. The loom looks gigantic!

Disaster Cat said...

My loom was used and then sat in storage for about 12 years. I'm just now getting to where the sheds raise on command after a lot of oiling and adjustments. I also had to write the manufacturer for a few parts, which they were happy to send.

Unknown said...

Peg, the loom really is gigantic. I'm making bolts of 60" cloth right now. And you're right, the temper of the loom is intimately linked with my own temper.

Sagadis, isn't it satisfying to use your own skill to turn a pile of parts into a well-oiled machine? Who made your loom?

Disaster Cat said...

My loom is a Baby Wolf made by Sachet company in Colorado. It was one of the first ones they made in the 1980's and it is heavier than the newer ones. And considering my general lack of skill with all things mechanical I am very, very happy to have the loom working. Its the one you nearly bought in California in 1999, Sagadis is my SCA name and the name I use on most of the fiber lists, but its still the same Melodi.

Unknown said...

Sagadis, Oh, names! :) I'm glad you kept that loom. It seems perfect for you. I had a couple of really rough patches after the first time trying to create a weaving business. But, 10 years wiser and I'm ready to try again!

Mary said...

Hi Blossom,
I have a similar flyshuttle cable setup and this might interest you. I took the cable that holds the grip that is secured from the overhead beam... off, finding it much easier, because the hand piece could be closer to me. my arms wouldn't tire as easily. the big downfall, is that when i'm not working, or threading, the cable sometimes is in the way. but i find it much easier to weave this way, so it won.

how many yards is on that back beam!?
mary

Unknown said...

Mary, I like that idea. I'll give it a try. In this picture there is about 170 yards of thread left on the beam. It'll all be woven off by the middle of September. It's a good thing I like to weave, huh? :)