Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Time Lapse, Behind The Scenes

Before I set out to set up the latest beam, I realized that this project lent itself to photography. The warp is mostly white.

And then I thought, "Hey, people are always asking what a day in the studio is like." So I decided to do a time lapse movie of three days in the studio setting up the loom. Here's a snapshot from behind the camera.



Here's how it works... I set up the focus, exposure and aperture on the camera. These are set manually so that successive frames use the same settings. It looks terrible when the automatic mode changes settings between frames.

On the computer, I'm running a program called iStopMotion. It handles everything, telling the camera when to take a shot, downloading the image, scaling it for YouTube, and inserting it into the movie.

I run around and do my work, hearing the camera shutter open and close every 30 seconds. A few times a day I swap the camera's battery and recharge the dead one. In the end I'll add music and put the result up on YouTube. It should be up in a few days, so keep checking back!

2 comments:

mary said...

this is going to be fun! can't wait....

Unknown said...

It's ready!

I'll write up a real blog post about in in the next few days, but here's the video in the meantime...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIgaim17N7w