Thursday, August 23, 2012

Collapsing Sections

Today's post is a quick one...

Several people expressed dismay that I might let the threads collapse between sections when I remove the plastic tubing. Thanks for your feedback, and when I reread my words I could see that it does sound problematic. A picture's worth a thousand words, right? Here are a couple of snapshots to show y'all what really does happen...

Before: There's a slight gap about 2" long where the threads needed to deform around the tube.

After: when I remove the tube, the threads immediately fill the space and press against each other to remain in place.

See? There isn't really any effect on the tension of the threads. Yes, there is always a tiny bit of inconsistency at that spot between sections, but it's never caused any problems at all.

And, to answer some of the ideas directly...

"Anonymous" wrote: "Why not replace the pegs with longer pegs? I'd be a little careful about tension in case the yarn 'collapsing' inwards over the pegs causes some problems...."

Well, the pegs are glued into place. To remove them, I'd have to drill them out. It's a big project and one that I'm not sure I could accomplish with the level of perfection that's required. Crooked pegs make for slow and bad winding. And replacing a botched beam would be very expensive.


Bryan wrote: "Or add strips of firm plastic measured with small notches on the pegs every 5 centimeters while warping the beam to ensure no threads slip and collapse. I do this all the time. It is a hassle to keep the plastic with the notches at different intervals labeled and I wonder if it has ever actually saved me from a collapse disaster. But I haven't had one. I don't weave more than 80 cm width so it is easier for me."

Hmm. I'm not sure I understand. Can you send a photo of how the strips are made and attached? As you can tell, I'm always looking for ways to make my weaving simpler, faster, more reliable, more flexible. You know, just better. :)


And, for the rest of you, if you haven't found Bryan's blog yet, I would highly recommend that you go and take a look... http://japanesetextileworkshops.blogspot.com/

It's a bright spot in my day when I read about his adventures with japanese antique markets, silkworms, indigo vats, persimmon juice, and more.

No comments: