Thursday, October 31, 2013

Felts Are Here!

After a small delay at the trucking company, the pallet of yurt cover parts finally arrived yesterday.

So, I haven't mentioned that I've never seen a traditional Mongolian yurt set up with its covers on. Most of my understanding has come from photos and my imagination. Well, I never imagined just how thick and heavy these felt covers would be.

The shipping manifest has them weighed in at 400 lbs.

Here's the outer cover and a roll of Tyvek. At this point, my heart lept. There was supposed to be a fitted Tyvek roof and a vinyl roof ring cover with a fiberglass panel for the stove pipe!

Oh, there they are!

After a bit of work, I got the wool pieces in the van. I think they weigh between 75 and 100 lbs each.

And then it was a little more work to get them into storage until next week when I set it all up.

Folks have been asking how I'm keeping the water from running straight into the yurt from the space around the wood stove. Here's how. There's a little mystery as to how I'll attach a flange from the stove pipe to the top of this cover, but I'll figure it out.

And now I'm off to sell my wares at the Portland Holiday Food And Gift Show. Next week I set up my new studio!

No comments: