Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Last of the Firsts

At last, I’ve finished my first beam. 150 yards of peacock blue. Whew!

Here’s a little list of firsts that I’ve survived in the last few months:
- First full-width project
- First full-size beam
- First cloth delivery
- First invoice paid
- First broken loom part
- First project-end data analysis session
- First time mounting a beam with threaded harnesses and reed

So now, I’m on to my second beam, this one cardinal red and only 75 yards.

I like this picture because it shows exactly how the loom fits into my room, which is to say barely! This view is looking in through the door from the kitchen. Notice how there are boxes strapped to the top of the loom for yarn storage and the next beam is tucked neatly underneath. Somehow I have to fit three more beams and their yarn into this room when I return from Oregon in two weeks. Ha!

2009-06-05_11-23-56_

What you’re looking at here is a beam taken from another loom with the harnesses and reed still attached. I was waiting for a friend to come over and help me lift it into place. I got so wrapped up in the ensuing hours of untangling that I completely forgot to take pictures. Good thing, though, because it was a 12-hour day even without stopping for photo breaks.

No comments: