Thursday, January 21, 2010

Weaving Milestone

[My knees and a rare bit of sun as I tie the 1200 black threads on the left to the 1200 navy threads on the right, in the correct order, without tangling.]

This week I crossed an exciting threshold: I now have some yarn of my own. I worked out a deal with Annie, the woman I weave for, where I'll be paid less for my work, and take some yarn from her stash instead.

This is important to me because I don't have a strong enough cash flow to buy yarn in enough quantity to get the kind of discounts that make weaving profitable. By picking a cone at a time from her candy store, I don't have per-color minimum order requirements, either.

It's all part of a bigger plan to turn me into a self-sufficient weaver without requiring a lot of money. I'll be weaving this batch of thread into cloth and sewing that cloth into sample merchandise to sell in Annie's booth at the Southern Renaissance Faire in April.

She's hiring me to work in her booth, too. I'll get feedback on my designs on weekends, and sew up new, modified merchandise during the weeks. By the end of the show, I hope to have no cloth left, little merchandise, a bit of money, and good ideas about how to design for the next show in September.


[Look at all my yarn!]


[The colors that I'm using for the first batch of my own cloth. The back row is a multi-brown warp, front row is a variety of wefts.]


[Yarns in front of my muse, the forest]


[Random colors to fill out the palette and let me weave samples with variety.]

No comments: