Tuesday, January 26, 2010

New Weaving Challenge

This week, I was presented with a weaving challenge. There are so many factors in setting up a beam for weaving that it's easy to make mistakes.

When threading the tension box to wind the beam, it's easy to forget that some threads are dented singly and some are double dented. After winding one section with too many threads, it would be a big waste to take them off the beam. It's easier to look for another solution.

The solution this time was to wind all of the sections with too many threads and leave two sections empty. It makes no visible difference to the finished cloth.

[One empty section]

The denting process is a little fiddly, though. Instead of 20 sections of 3", there are 18 sections of 3.33". To make sure the density is even across the cloth, I marked the harnesses at every 3" beam section and separated the reed into 3.3" inch sections. On a 10 dent reed, the sections have uneven dents: 33, 33, 34, ...

[Harnesses, marked at 3"]

[Reed, marked at 3.33"]

I was glad that I did this background work. As I sleyed the reed, it was assuring to have progress markers, knowing that the density would be even all the way across the cloth. In the end, the threads filled exactly 60" of reed.

[Reed, perfectly full]

You can see below that the angle required to fill the empty sections is very shallow. It will certainly make no difference at all in the cloth.

[The narrow gap closes at the reed]

Now I'm weaving through the samples and yardage to ship before traveling to San Francisco for the bi-annual organizational for the sanctuary where I live.

The velvety black cloth is absolutely beautiful. It's tough to photograph, but I'll post my best pictures of it tomorrow.

No comments: