Saturday, January 30, 2010

Great Circle

[Before]

[After]

This week I've travelled to San Francisco for Great Circle, the semi-annual planning meeting for Nomenus, the organization that owns the spiritual sanctuary where I live. Earlier in the month I made a spectacular mistake by publishing scathing criticisms of the organization's status.

This morning I'll have to answer for myself and try to turn that mistake into a learning experience and change those criticisms into obstacles we can overcome. In the last few days I've had offline chats with the people who received the brunt of my criticisms and learned a lot.

This new generation has a fantastic vision for where they want the organization to go. Some of us old guys have fantastic experience with the systems that worked in the past (and, more importantly, those that didn't). I think this is the meeting that will bridge the chasm and set the course for Nomenus to grow fast and find itself while retaining the spirit of the founders.

My two-word goal for the way I'd like to see things run in the future is "consensual agility". We have few active members now so we should be able to change direction FAST while making sure that everyone affected by an action is able to be involved if they want. It's going to take work from all sides to get there, but I think we can.

If you're a member of the organization, you can call into our usual conference number and be involved. We'll open the line at 10:30 so we can just chat for half an hour before the meeting starts. If you want to follow along with the agenda and decision results, go to Twitter and filter for the #GreatCircle hashtag. If I can get permission from the participants, maybe I can spice up the info stream with some pictures.

No comments: