Sunday, April 24, 2011

First Bluebird Samples



Whew! After 90 hours of preparation work between me and Harlan, the bluebird beam is ready to start weaving.

Taking the time to set it up carefully is totally worth it - the ends are all within 4" of each other, there are no threading errors and I've had perfect tension from the very first pick.

I'm trying to decide whether I should keep the scarf with the knotted fringe or try to sell it as a one-of-a-kind process piece. For people who like unique fibercraft with a real story behind it, my first 1200 weaver's knots seems like something to appreciate.



Here you can see the first five sample wefts. Navy is already woven. Royal, teal, fiesta, and slate are lined up with the area where they appear in the warp.



And here's a flash-bulb snapshot after dark. (It was a long day.) You can see the denim, royal, teal, and a little bit of fiesta at the very top. Tomorrow I'll start on yardage and wet finish this sample blanket. Just a few more days before finished garments start going up on Etsy!

2 comments:

Annie MacHale said...

Looks gorgeous! ~Annie

Sandra Rude said...

Love the color sequence in the warp! Happy weaving, Sandra