Wednesday, April 10, 2013

White Sample Blanket

The first of the light neutral cloth is coming off the loom and it does all of the things that I wanted it to do.

This is the next in my series of asymmetrical cloth designs. One edge is almost pure white. The other edge is a lively mix of whites, browns, and greys. The body of the cloth is a complex fade between the two extremes.

The dual nature of this gradient accentuates a major feature of my cloth design: the hide-and-seek zigzags. When the weft value is close to the warp value, the zigzags only appear very subtly in the texture of the cloth. When the two are different, the zigzags are as plain as day.

Here are some closeups of the two edges with a few different weft combinations. Take note of when you can see the zigzags and when you can't. This effect will make for a lot of interest when looking at a finished garment.

And, as always, if you'd like a garment from this cloth, now is the time to contact me. It'll be woven, sewn, and sold before you know it. This is especially true of my neutrals because I don't weave them very often. It's been over a year since the last batch and will probably be just as long until the next batch. I don't design a cloth until the inspiration strikes and neutrals often take longer to inspire me than saturated colors do.

No comments: