Wednesday, October 28, 2009

All Aflutter

[New Footbridge thanks to Acorn and his crew ]

The energy of this place is through the roof right now. There were tons of people at dinner last night with many more expected today. The hootin' and hollerin' was going late into the night, and it's sure to be even more of a ruckus at the bonfire tonight.

The weaving is coming along nicely. Yesterday I wove a set of ruanas with a light-colored weft. It's amazing the difference from the dark weft. It almost looks like a different warp.


[Dark Weft, Light Weft]


I walked out of my house this morning to go down to the office and post this blog entry when I noticed that the birds were going crazy! Both types of jays and the flickers were raising a ruckus over something. I stepped into the meadow just in time to see a red-tailed hawk high-tail it off the property. We don't see them here very often, maybe a couple times a year.

Yesterday my weaving break was a quick trip into the forest to look for chanterelles. I found a bunch, but not the yummy kind. These are the beautiful woolly chanterelle (Gomphus floccosus). You CAN eat them, but they're not very tasty and can cause "delayed gastrointestinal distress". I think I'll just appreciate their beauty.

[Wooly Chanterelles in the fir and madrone duff]

No comments: