Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Crazy warm and wet

[A few days ago: Bambi on ice]

[Today: no ice, water a few feet higher]

The last few days have been warm and wet, thawing the ground and moistening everything. It's tough to regulate the indoor temperature with such wild swings in weather. Six logs a day is perfect when it's far below freezing and the air is dry. On warm, wet days, it's impossible to build a fire small enough to keep from making my house a sauna. I guess tomorrow I'll try bundling up in a cold house.

Today we had several hours of sun. I decided to take a picture of a part of the process I've never photographed before -unrolling the cloth from the loom. That's 20 yards of ruanas there.

Notice the sleeping bag tacked in the doorway? It saved my butt on those cold nights last week. Even with it snugly across the doorway, a gallon jug of water froze solid inside my house one night.

[Pulling cloth from the loom]

On the way down the meadow yesterday I saw a sweet little pair of birds scoping out the birdhouses along the path. I'd never seen them here before: Western Bluebirds. It's hard not to be made happy by seeing them, so pretty and sweet.

[Western Bluebird, image from the iBird Explorer app]

No comments: