Saturday, December 26, 2009

Yurt Workshop, Day 4

At last I'm doing the work that makes the most substantial part of the yurt: the walls. The figuring is done and it's time to tie hundreds of knots.

First, I had to repair the section that gave Cobb trouble when he built the yurt in the first place. The numbers didn't match up so the lashing of the sections was problematic. It's the trickiest section because the two edges don't match by design. The first rod has 3 holes, the last rod has 2.

After fixing that section, I went on to the most difficult part of the next section: the edges. They were all tied up just in time for people to start arriving for craft circle.



[The trickiest section to build because it's not symmetrical.]



[The hardest part to figure is the edges so I do them first.]

Lots of people came over and brought crafts: sewing, painting, beadwork, and more. We lit a fire, put an extra leaf in the table, and had a great time. This is one thing that attracts me to Portland over San Francisco: people spend lots of quality time together outside of bars and clubs.

Cobb took charge of the DJ role, entertaining us with Eritrean lyre music, a close direct descendant of the ancient Greek playing style. He's preparing to build himself a replica Greek lyre and teach a course on playing it traditionally.

I was very happy that I saved the rafter ends to carve during the circle. They slid neatly under the table and let me sit by the fire and socialize while I worked. See that weird contraption in the middle of the floor? It's the center ring that holds the yurt roof together.




[Panorama of the scene while most people were on a smoke break. Still working are Tos, Chance, and Okram.]



[Kevin and Okram crafting away]

No comments: