Thursday, December 24, 2009

Yurt Workshop, Day 2

This was a day of research and geometry. I started out believing that each wall section is identical, but my observations of the existing pieces didn't bear this out. Cobb showed me the book that was his guide: The Complete Yurt Handbook by Paul King. It showed a diagram where different sections had timbers of different lengths but didn't explain exactly why.

After a few hours of analysis and studying photographs of yurt interiors, I discovered that the sections are traditionally lashed in a specific way. The join is a clean zigzag beginning one joint down from the rafters and ending one joint above the floor. In order for this to work without unneccessary timber overlap, each section is slightly different.



[Photograph of wall sections properly lashed. Numbers count the joints per timber. Image from Shelter]

I worked out on graph paper just how the sections need to end in order to attach them with a tidy lashing that doesn't impact the rafters. With a light table to assist, I checked that my drawings were correct.



[My graph paper mockup]






[Full drawing of two sections. Notice the slight difference on the left side of panel B.]

The next step was to open up the existing sections and inventory the parts. I now know how many pieces are supposed to be in each section, and I know how many are in the surviving sections. The next step is to go over the broken wall pieces and make short timbers for missing panels from them. Then I'll know just how many timbers we'll need from the lumber yard. That will all have to happen tomorrow.



[One nearly undamaged section]

No comments: