Friday, December 25, 2009

Yurt Workshop, Day 3

[Bundles of rafters, ready for today's craft circle]

Yesterday was a big day for learning. I think I've finally wrapped my head around the geometry of the wall pieces. The lashing and arrangement of the wall pieces were tricky, but one more trick was waiting in the wings. To keep the lowest knots from getting wet if rains leaks in, every wall rod that touches the ground is 2" longer on the bottom.

This means that there are 19 different lengths, cut with little slop factor and tied in a specific arrangement. Once I realized this, I had to recalculate the requirements and recount the existing pieces.

The calculating and inventory are all done. We ran to the lumber yard for more 1x2s. The short pieces are all cut and drilled, reclaiming as much wood as possible. The rafters are all sawn and chiseled.

Today there are a bunch of people coming over for a fire and craft circle. I made sure that there was a task I could do while being sociable by the fireplace: carving rafter ends. Some of them need to be cut from square to round. Then they all need to be tapered and fit to the roof ring.

It'll be nice to see people and come out of the basement for a while.

[Piece counts, before]

[Piece counts, after. Twice as complex.]

[Stacks of reclaimed pieces on the workbench]

No comments: