Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Yurt Workshop, Day 1

[Cobb, an urban medievalist, plays a handmade virginal]

I'm in a strange place right now with my weaving. I can't pick up my next beam until January, and my personal yarn stash isn't sufficient to weave a beam of my own. Sometimes I think my habit of planning months in advance is ridiculous, but a mistake like this tells me that it isn't.

On the other hand, I have a goal to design and build a yurt for my next home. Before I do this, though, I need some practical experience with them.

My friend, Cobb, has built a few yurts. I fell in love with the 16' yurt he was living in a few years ago. Last Winter, it was set up inside a barn during an unusually heavy snow storm. The barn roof collapsed, flattening the yurt.

Thankfully, yurts are able to go flat without being completely ruined. There are hundreds of pieces, and most of them were unharmed. The most crucial piece, the roof ring, made it through with just a few nicks.

So, for my unplanned vacation, I've come up to Portland to help Cobb repair his yurt. We're also talking a bit about how I can design and produce cloth to sell at Camlann, a medieval festival that Cobb has done for years.

The first step in the restoration is to inspect and inventory the parts that survived. Then, I'm carving new rafters before we get the lumber required for the wall sections.


[The yurt looks like a pile of lumber]

[Some wall sections are mostly broken]

[Rafter ends are carved by hand]

[Done for the day]

No comments: