Monday, August 23, 2010

The Storm Has Lifted

Holy cow, that cold kicked my butt! It was three days of really weird malaise. Stuffy head, fever, body aches, nausea, fatigue, yuck! Every few hours the symptoms changed. At one point I sat inside on a beautiful day and watched a movie just to stay awake. You know I'm sick when that's what I want to do!

Yesterday it lifted and I felt AMAZING! It's funny that after a couple days of sickness it's hard to remember what it's like to feel normal. I started to think that I felt OK, but I was just too lazy to work. And then, when it did lift I remembered what it's like to have energy and enthusiasm.

The weather is funny right now, too. One day will be 95, the next day 70. The nights are getting consistently colder and beginning the fall color show.



[The little maple is always first to change]

I'm a little sad that I'll be away at a show during my favorite time of year here. The fall colors and the transition to Winter are a spectacular event here on the land.



[More candle flowers]

The visioning for this community and for the monastery of my dreams is going beautifully. Yesterday we had an impromptu discussion about responsibility, followthrough, investment, and how to encourage them. It seems like changing people's habits is too large a task. Instead, we could focus on encouraging the perseverance of people who already have these traits and wait for those who don't to toddle off.

In the foundation of a new place, we can teach these skills and make them a requirement for long term participation, but it seems like Wolf Creek has been too juvenile for too long to embrace this idea. I mean, we get skewered for asking unstable and disruptive people to leave. Imagine what it would be like if we started dealing frankly with people who simply don't contribute to the community.

No comments: