Sunday, March 27, 2011

More Bluebird Design Work

In between weaving, cutting, sewing, photographing and marketing the Arctic Fox cloth, I'm excited to be exploring the ways I can combine the various shades of blue that have newly arrived in my stash.



One of the first things I had to do was to wind the yarn onto smaller cones for portability. I spend a lot of time in meetings here. That's a perfect time to play with color ideas.



I've now got a bucket of sample cones that I can take to meetings. Perhaps this coming week I'll settle on a set of plied threads that I can use to achieve the effects I want on the bluebird beam.



So far, I've done lots of "color combo" tests to see which shades go well together. The good news is that they all do! I haven't seen even one set of test colors that I thought looked bad together. This means that I would have to work hard to come up with a bad design for the next beam. Maybe I won't try to be too fancy at all, and just go with a random smattering of my favorite 18 shades of blue, brown and grey.

It's more likely that I'll come up with a gradient progression that I like. Not too busy, though! Vibrant, but subdued.

No comments: