Monday, March 14, 2011

Shooting On Location

Sofa throw. The name itself tells you what you're supposed to do with it - throw it on the sofa.

The problem with shooting that picture here on the land is that nobody has a sofa. In our cabins we have a bed, a desk, a chair or two, some shelves, and maybe a chest of drawers. My bed isn't very photogenic, either. I sleep on a bunk with storage space beneath me and a ceiling that's not that far above it.

Thankfully, though, one of the cabins on the land is inhabited by friends who keep their house tidy. They let me set up and photograph my new sofa throws in their cabin.



This panorama shows how the windows let in natural light while the hanging tissue paper flash diffuser fills it in.



The photos turned out fantastic. They capture the colors, the weight of the cloth, the drape, and some details of the thread patterns that can be seen close up. And the setting is perfect. The rough wood and heavy furniture convey the rustic feeling of the place where I live. To see all of the pictures inside of my Etsy shop, click HERE.

All-in-all, I'm pleased with how these items look in my shop. I hope they sell fast so I can upgrade some of my tools before I wind the next beam!



Notice that you don't see any cloth. I wrap it in a blanket and zip it in a tote bag whenever I take it outside because the land is covered with squishy, splashy, staining clay mud.

No comments: