Saturday, March 5, 2011

New Photography Stage



In preparation for the launch of my wedding line on Etsy, I've taken advantage of having the cabin to myself and set up a photography stage up in the loft. There are several reasons for this. First, the loft has great natural light from a half-wall clearstory that's winterized with light-diffusing translucent plastic. It also has beautiful cedar walls and a rustic wooden bookshelf. A few interesting objects on the shelf and voilĂ ! It looks like I live in a cute cabin. Well, I do, but it's so full of my weaving and sewing studios that I can hardly move most of the time.

I'm super thankful for one expensive piece of equipment that hangs out in my photo bag until I need it: the Nikon Speedlight flash unit. I've mounted white canvas below the clearstory to heat the downstairs more efficiently. It's also a convenient surface to bounce the flash and make the light look like a sunny day next to an open window.

Oh, yeah, along with the flash unit, it really helps to learn the settings on the camera. It's not hard to tell the camera to basically ignore the flash coming from itself (used to trigger the Speedlight) and pump up the light coming from the external flash. This keeps the pictures from looking like "camera flash" snapshots.

Today is the day I start listing my new merchandise on Etsy. I'll launch all the scarves at once just to get my store filled up, and then list one new item a day for a while.

No comments: