Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Making Sleeves

Once getting the light mounted, I needed to sew up those sleeves I designed last week. These will let me run wires along any of the horizontal roof poles while keeping the whole setup tidy-looking.

The first step is a method of cutting cloth thar's TERRIBLE if you're doing fine tailoring, but fine for something that's not meant to be looked at. I just tear it into strips the right width.

This method is great because it let me "cut" 14 yards of cloth in about two minutes, but bad for several reasons. It stretches the edge of the cloth ensuring that edges will not meet up evenly. It also leaves long threads on the edge which make sewing a challenge.

But once the edge is double-stitched and each sleeve is turned right-side out, none of that matters. Here's what it will look like, except that it will be 7-9 feet up in the air with much more interesting things to look at. And that's the point.

No comments: