Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Flightless Birds, Flying Homes

[Our melodious fowl and two tiny chicks on their first outing]

This morning I awoke extra early to get my work done before an outing to a treehouse resort in Tekilma, about an hour away. On the way home from tea I ran into the Guinea Fowl on the path. We've known that they were trying to hatch out a brood and protect them from the bluejays, but this was the first sighting of the tiny chicks.

During a break from weaving, I stepped outside and found that the wild turkeys aren't afraid of me now, either. Here's a snapshot of the mom and her little ones, taken with a camera phone from about 10 feet away.

And then the field trip... It was amazing. These people have built a whole bunch of treehouses in the woods, and rent them by the night.

You can see more pictures from our outing HERE
The website for the resort is HERE

The house that caught my eye is, of course, the tree-suspended yurt platform.

Once I've built myself a yurt I can think about this sort of thing. How cool would it be not just to live in the woods, but to live in the trees?

The dreamer in me can picture several structures to serve as studio, home, and store. They could all be connected with outdoor decks and rope bridges...

But, before any of that, I need a yurt and the income to acquire property. And, to stay on the long path toward those ends, tomorrow it's back to the loom.

I did manage to get enough woven yesterday and early this morning that I'm right on track even with an outing. Yay!

No comments: