Sunday, September 13, 2009

Resource Management

[There's not much water in the creek nowadays]

This beautiful place has always had a difficult time managing its resources. Money, water, human energy: these are the big things that need to be managed well to keep this place running well.

I came here for a weaving retreat, to get caught up on my contract, to develop and produce a new line of products, and to demonstrate sustainable business for the community. Running any business means managing its resources. Crafts businesses have notoriously low profit margins, so careful management is essential.

I also intended to spend my time here looking for a niche within the community that would let me stay here longterm and be of service to this place. Well, I think I've found it. We need someone to help the community to better manage our resources. And if I bring paying work with me, I'm sure nobody will complain. Well, pretty sure...

The weaving is chugging along. I'll be able to send 24 shawls to tomorrow. It's not the 48 I was hoping for, but the land work I did instead was worthwhile. There aren't many more days before the rains arrive.

No comments: