Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Power Outage

[Weaving by available light meant moving the loom near the door]

We had a little windstorm this afternoon. It didn't do anything much, really - just slammed a few doors and dropped lots of acorns on the tin roof. But somewhere nearby it must have done something. The power flickered a few times then went out entirely. It stayed out for about four hours, I guess.

When I bought my loom, I was specific that I wanted it to be completely mechanical so I could weave in a cabin in the woods with no electricity. So, it was no skin off my nose when the power went out. I actually got what I had wished for in Pam's office at AVL back in February. I just kept on weaving, but a little more carefully since I couldn't see as well.

I keep giving my little status blurb, 11 yards a day, blah, blah, blah... Let me show you how much cloth has been cut off the loom after 7 days.


That's 60-something yards of 60" wide cloth. It weighs about 60 pounds and is stacked about 12" deep. This pile has 20 cloaks and 9 yards of cloth. There's another 4 cloaks (11 yards) still on the loom from today.

Tomorrow I really want to create mouse-proof cloth storage. Right now it's just up off the floor and away from walls, but that won't work forever. I haven't placed this at the highest priority because in three winters on the land I only had one t-shirt munched by them, next to an altar where they came to drink the olive oil from my lamps. Handwoven cloth raises the stakes, though, so I don't want to take chances.

1 comment:

Disaster Cat said...

Since Enki, the amazing mouse eating cat, that I found at Harbon Festival and who lived for years at Wolf Creek, is no longer with us. He died a couple of years ago at a ripe old age with Bill in Seattle, I suggest the best mouse proofing is another cat. Enki had been raised a house cat after he was found clinging to a door in a rain storm, but he quickly got his job sorted when he got to Wolf Creek!

Of course you'll also want some plastic boxes, metal is even better because the mice will chew through plastic but it will help. But letting cats to what cats do helps a great deal.

Not to mention they will "help" you weave and keep you warm at night. And it is one of nature's ways of dealing with the problem.

Sagadis (Melodi)