Friday, September 11, 2009

Ideal Visitors

[The lily pond in the middle of our garden]

It's always nice when people arrive who already know how to live in community. Two days ago a group stopped by on their way from Burning Man. They have made their integration into this place effortless.

Last night I spent too long in the weaving studio and was running short on time to get dinner finished. (We had a telephone meeting after dinner, so time was an issue.) The next thing I knew, the kitchen was swarming with visitors peeling, chopping, and cooking. Dinner was gorgeous and the only ingredients we didn't grow were eggs, flour and olive oil. After dinner we swarmed the kitchen again to clean it. Amazing!

I trapsed off to bed, hearing murmurs of cinnamon rolls. I didn't give it much thought, although I'd love a fresh cinnamon roll with my tea!

Well, I got up this morning to find a few things. The kitchen was spotless. The dishes were even dried and put away. Then I saw the sheet that cinnamon rolls were baked on, but no rolls themselves. "Oh, well," I thought. And then my eye caught the other sheet of unbaked rolls in the fridge. Sweet!

So I'm drinking my tea, watching the sun rise above the ridge, and eating a very hot cinnamon roll. It's a glorious morning thanks to some glorious visitors.

On the way down the hill today I saw three Northern Flickers in the trees of the meadow.
[Image from the iBird Explorer app]

No comments: