Saturday, September 5, 2009

Rainy Day, Storing Food

[A break in the rain let me photograph the deep colors and beautiful mists. Scroll down for more photos.]

Today it rained for real. Maybe it was only half an inch, but it was enough to point out things that need to be kept dry this Winter.

I was so enjoying my time with Harlan this morning that I hung out to cook a batch of granola and start some yogurt instead of heading straight to my weaving work.

Yesterday's visitor facilitation meant that there was extra work today. My make-shift bobbin winder was frustrating me by late afternoon so I was happy to call it quits and plug into the food storage scene in the kitchen.

With limited time and few hands, we've decided to freeze the tomatoes and keep them from spoiling while we decide whether (and in what way) to can them. Sun drying is out of the question for this season, it seems.

This is all a fantastic way for us to jump back into healthy community after our little disruption yesterday.

I didn't get much weaving done, and will probably continue at this half-speed until Wednesday when I borrow a bobbin winder.


[Seecth is preparing windfall apples to be made into cider. I've stepped away from cutting tomatoes to take a picture.]


[Kinder is running the juicer and dealing with filtration]


[Behind the juicer is a batch of frothy, pulpy apple juice, waiting to get filtered]


[Here are 2 freezer bags of tomatoes, half of those that were picked today, maybe 5% of what we'll harvest altogether.]


[...and today's batch of yogurt, still in the hot water bath]

No comments: